In 2013 the Center funding made it possible to reward / award scientists funding to ‘seed’ early stage, innovative, potentially risky research and technology projects. The seed projects are selected annually by our internal Center Executive Committee by peer review, and by mid-2014 the Center had awarded $81,000 (direct funds) to junior investigators. Seed projects solicitations were open to all scientists within the ISB, and on average the Center received approximately fifteen seed proposals per year. Seed projects were used to fund research consumables and core facility charges (not salaries).
In addition seed projects could also be education / training based.
The following criteria were used to select the projects, based on the aims of the Center:
- Innovation/interesting science.
- Broadly applicable – e.g. beyond a single project, lab group or a single application.
- Foster junior scientists – e.g. facility runs: democratization of resources.
- Foster research and technology development in as many lab groups as possible.
- Foster collaboration between lab groups or outside of ISB.
- Provide preliminary data to new grant application or funding.
- Present at annual “all Centers” meeting.